News

Spurs wants “confidence” Mace can deliver new stadium schedule

4 September 2018 | By Will Mann

The roof of the new Spurs stadium, image taken two days ago

Tottenham Hotspur says it wants “confidence” in Mace’s ability to deliver the football club’s new stadium to a revised schedule before committing to test events and an opening date.

The contractor was called in for urgent meetings with Spurs after it emerged last month that the venue would not be ready for the planned opening game against Liverpool on 15 September.

Chairman Daniel Levy said the club was “focused on ensuring contractors deliver our new stadium in the shortest possible period of time and opening our stadium at the earliest opportunity”. 

He explained: "We are now being regularly updated on progress and as soon as we have confidence in our project managers’ and contractors' ability to deliver against the revised schedule of works, we shall be able to issue dates for test events and the official opening game.

"Amongst the consequences of the delay have been substantial additional costs, not least of which the need for alternative venue hire, along with the inconvenience for our fans and those of our opposition.”

Tottenham has now moved its Premier League home fixture against Manchester City to Monday 29 October at Wembley Stadium.

“Despite the possibility that our new stadium could be ready to host this match, this would not be known until much closer to the date of the game,” said Levy.

The north London club has also moved all three of its Champions League group stage fixtures to Wembley: Barcelona on 3 October, PSV Eindhoven on 6 November and Inter Milan on 28 November.

A Mace spokesperson said: “While it is clearly disappointing for everyone involved that further changes have been forced to be made to Tottenham Hotspur’s fixture schedule, Mace, the club and the construction team are working around the clock to ensure that this unique, world-class stadium is ready as soon as possible. We look forward to soon being able to provide an update on the revised delivery schedule, which will assist Tottenham Hotspur in being able to confirm new dates for test events and the official opening game.”

Comments

This fiasco is a total disgrace. The knowledge that the completion date was obviously not going to be met must have been apparent months ago. Why was the club advertising trial fixtures a few weeks ago? Why weren't the club aware that these games could never be played? Obviously something is seriously wrong with the communication between club and contractor.

As a supporter of almost 60 years I feel that my loyalty is being stretched to breaking point. We are taken for granted time after time. This used to be a proper club.

Surely the people involved in this shambles must be made accountable?

Martin Iddon, 4 September 2018

Leave a comment