Poll | How to tackle dust – construction’s next big killer
Dust is a major cause of cancer-related deaths in construction and a new Construction Manager campaign, in partnership with Hilti, will be asking how the industry should tackle the problem.
The campaign will include news articles, social media interaction and a round table discussion on 6 March involving the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and leading industry safety figures.
Take the poll below to give us your views on dust risks and how control measures could be improved.
The topics covered in the CM/Hilti campaign will include:
- Why dust could be the next asbestosis – the dangers for construction workers.
- Looming litigation – the legal pay-outs contractors face if they don’t take action on dust.
- HSE enforcement – site closures and improvement notices will hit construction firms who ignore the problem.
- Common mistakes regarding dust exposure – and how to address them.
- Assessing and controlling the risks – use of the right equipment, PPE and RPE, education and behavioural change.
- Productivity gains from improved control measures and use of the latest tool technology.
The HSE estimates there around 3,500 workers cancer deaths every year in the UK construction industry, with asbestos and silica the main causes.