How can the CIOB Benevolent Fund help you?
Illness, redundancy or plain bad luck can happen to anyone. Regardless of qualifications or career pedigree, construction professionals sometimes undergo periods of extreme hardship, finding it difficult to make ends meet. If you’re struggling at work or at home, don’t suffer in silence. The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) Benevolent Fund has been providing support for thousands of members and their families since it was set up in 1992. It may be able to help you too.
So how does the Benevolent Fund work?
- We provide advice and support to members and their families, across a broad range of issues: employment rights, unemployment and entitlements, housing issues, financial difficulties and help to identify options and solutions.
- We also offer financial assistance for members and their families in times of ill-health and hardship. These are challenging times for professionals in the construction industry. We’re here to help.
What we do
- We can help advise and guide members through periods of stress or difficulty.
- If you’re facing uncertainty or are worried about your practical or financial circumstances, please don’t hesitate to contact us This is your Benevolent Fund.
- The service is made possible by CIOB members, for CIOB members.
How we can help you
- If you’d like to discuss any concerns, you can do so in complete confidence. The service functions wholly upon the trust of members, so we value your privacy at all times.
- We’ll respond to your enquiry (by telephone or email) promptly and sensitively. Our service is founded upon an appreciation that CIOB members are professionals.
- You’ll receive a service of advice and assistance specific to your requirements.
- Of course, every individual deals with challenges in their own way. Accordingly, we’re ready to advise and to help identify available options and to support you wherever possible.
- We’re here and available to be of service to you and your family.
What about financial help?
- The Fund does have financial resources and a panel of Trustees (all are members or fellows) consider all requests for financial assistance
- The Fund can and does help wherever possible but there are some costs that it can’t help with: Legal, Business, medical, (formal) education/university costs, debts and CIOB Subscriptions.
- All other day-to-day expenditure that members face can potentially be eligible.
- Every application is considered on individual member or family circumstances.
How can I find out more and apply for help?
- Full, detailed information about the CIOB Benevolent Fund is available online from our dedicated website.
- An application form for financial assistance can be accessed and downloaded here.
A member with a young family suffered a serious house fire and they were evacuated. The Trustees provided some monetary support to enable this member to obtain essential household furnishings.
Following critical illness, a young member needed support while she received treatment. The Fund offered monthly financial assistance to reduce pressure and enable this member to maintain her home.
A member approaching retirement suffered serious illness and was unable to work for several months. The Fund offered advice and support, while making monthly financial help until this member recovered sufficiently to return to work.
A young widow had been facing serious difficulties in maintaining her household finances. Trustees offered funds sufficient to support this family through a period of financial difficulty.
From members we have assisted
“Please extend my gratitude to the Trustees for this generous assistance … during this difficult time."
“I cannot thank you and everyone enough for what they have done, its so nice and I am very grateful for this. You’re helping me and my family."
"I can truly say that the CIOB looks after its members. I only wish I had thought to contact you earlier."
“I can only say thank you in the most profound way for the support that CIOB has offer. I cannot tell you the strain that will be taken off over these next few months. You cannot know what a difference this will make."
“We are both very grateful to you and the trustees for your consideration but especially the compassion you have shown to us at this somewhat difficult time and position we have found ourselves in."
Further information is on the CIOB Benevolent Fund website.