Grenfell Tower: Police conduct three interviews under caution

19 July 2018 | By Neil Gerrard

The Metropolitan Police Service has confirmed that it has conducted three interviews under caution as it continues an investigation into the Grenfell Tower fire last year.

It said it was considering offences including gross negligence manslaughter, corporate manslaughter and breaches of the Health and Safety Act, although details of who has been interviewed have not been revealed.

Apart from investigations into allegations of fraud, there have not been any arrests at this stage.

However, police said its investigation had moved into a new phase, with more interviews under caution planned "in the coming weeks and months".

Meanwhile, police work at the tower itself is nearing completion and handover of the tower is expected to take place in early August.

The Metropolitan police said its officers and experts have been working to ensure that every aspect of the physical examination of Grenfell Tower have been completed to "the highest possible standards", including examination by independent experts of specific aspects of the building construction and maintenance systems, as well as searches, forensic examinations, digital scanning, photography and videography.

Commander Stuart Cundy said: “The handover of Grenfell Tower by the police will only occur once we are entirely confident that all police work has been completed at the tower and handing the tower over to the responsible body will have no bearing on the ongoing criminal investigation.

“The concerns of the bereaved, survivors and residents as well as the wider community will be central to how the handover takes place. We recognise this will be a significant milestone and one that is bound to stir a range of emotions for all those affected by this tragedy.

"As part of our careful planning for a transition of responsibility, we are working closely with representatives from central government and London Councils.”

Leave a comment