The Art of Building photography competition returns
Image: 'Eye of the Tower' by Mehmet Yasa
International digital photography competition the Art of Building, organised by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) has opened for entries today (15 October 2018).
Top prize in the competition is £3,500 in cash, with the winner selected by a public vote.
Last year’s winner of the coveted Art of Building Photographer of the Year title was Mehmet Yasa.
Yasa said: “When I won the 2017 Art of Building title, I started getting more professional architectural photography work. And the prize money allowed me to buy a more comfortable car! Everybody knows my 'Eye of the Tower' photo in my city and there are more of my photos in magazines and newspapers.”
Talking about this years’ competition, he said: “Any photographers who can look at architecture differently should participate in this competition. Being a finalist and awaiting the outcome of the vote is incredibly exciting. This award is the most meaningful, biggest and most magical award of my life."
'Bones' by Francis Meslet was another finalist in last year's competition
Saul Townsend, Head of Communications at the CIOB, said: “From humble homes built by hand that made many happy lifelong memories, to glorious structures reaching into the sky formed with an equal measure of complexity and artistry, to the wonders of conserving our history and repurposing it for the future. The Art of Building has captured how buildings influence our daily lives.
“Every year we receive images that bring new perspectives on the buildings and structures that surround us. From the creation to demolition, from minute detail to broad cityscape, the possibilities are almost infinite. We’re inviting all aspiring and professional photographers to unleash their creativity and astonish us once more.”
The 2018 Art of Building competition is free to enter and open to anyone over the age of 18, whether professional or amateur. Entrants are encouraged to capture the built environment in a way not seen before, to inspire others and to challenge perceptions. Most importantly, however, the CIOB wants people to have fun and gain a new perspective on the world around them.
- The competition is free to enter and open to anyone over the age of 18
- A panel of industry judges will be responsible for shortlisting 12 finalists, all of whom will receive international recognition in industry and national media
- The overall winner, decided by public vote, will scoop a cash prize of £3,500 and the prestigious title ‘Art of Building Photographer of the Year’
- Up to three photographs per person may be entered into the competition across the categories
- Entries may be digitally enhanced or altered but must be submitted via the website in a JPEG format between 2mb and 8mb per photo. Entries will not be accepted if they are embedded with borders or locks
- The competition will remain open for entry until 12 November 2018. Entries will not be accepted outside of the advertised closing date
- For more details about the competition and to enter, log on to http://www.artofbuilding.org/ The competition can also be found on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/ciobartofbuilding/ and Twitter at http://twitter.com/Art_of_Building